Jenna's Reviews > Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

Aug 31, 14

bookshelves: memoir-and-biography, health-or-healthcare-related
Recommended for: everyone
Read in August, 2007

I feel like I didn't really understand this book. Some of the arguments that the book makes (e.g., the argument that "cost-effective" thinking is no good, or the argument that trekking into the mountains to visit individual patients is a better use of Paul Farmer's time than doing health-policy work that could save many more lives) just didn't seem very convincing, as though they wouldn't hold much water if delivered into the talons of a rigorous logician. That being said, this book has had a bigger impact on my worldview than any book I've read in recent memory. Beware: this is a book that might make you re-evaluate your goals, question your values, and ask yourself whether your current passions are really worth being passionate about. But although it may seed your mind with feelings of doubt and guilt, it will leave you feeling inspired overall.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountains Beyond Mountains.