Jen's Reviews > Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country

202716
Jun 13, 09

bookshelves: comics, mystery-crime-detective
Read in June, 2009

Wow. Kick. Ass. This series features undercover FBI agent Dashiell Bad Horse returning to the Sioux reservation he spent the first 13 years of his life hating. He has a bad attitude and an apparent love of fighting. The series rips open his rocky history with his mom, Native American rights activist Gina Bad Horse, who sacrificed her relationship with her son in the hopes of influencing the greater good with her protests. Dash gets a job working for Red Crow, Gina's former compatriate and now the most powerful and most hated guy on the rez. His secret mission is to catch Red Crow with his hands dirty, while his personal mission is to get the damn job over with so he can move on to somewhere as far away from the rez as he can possibly get.

I think it's a really interesting look at reservation life and just a bad-ass story with lots of action and fighting and a hard reality. It also has a prophet-like character, Catcher, who is my absolute favorite drunk who still rides a horse everywhere in modern times and receives visions from the thunder gods. I loved this story from the first page. I'm totally hooked and can't wait to make my way through the rest of it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scalped, Vol. 1.