Mark's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot The Illustrated Edition

'Salem's Lot The Illustrated Edition by Stephen King

Jun 13, 09

Read in June, 2009

It has been probably 15 years since I last read this book. The added chapters were seamless. I didn't notice them anyway. What struck me is how Stephen King's handling of horror, once so groundbreaking, has become the de facto handling of horror in contemporary fiction/pop culture. I enjoyed imagining what it must have been like to read this when it was first in print, without a schlocky movie and 40+ more novels padding the impact... While I'm not an elitist by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to literature, neither am I a Stephen King devotee. He can be masterful. He can be self-indulgent. And at times he can be just thin. All of it's gold for the publishers, though, so I imagine he's granted great license. 'Salem's Lot, nonetheless, is vintage, visceral King, with a deep knowledge of literature shining through (no pun intended!)as well as a warm, genuine compassion for humanity.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot The Illustrated Edition.

06/13/2009 page 167