Miriam Axel-lute's Reviews > The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too

The Predator State by James K. Galbraith

Jul 24, 2009

bookshelves: big-ideas-nonfiction, politics-economics, formative-non-fiction
Recommended to Miriam by: Rebecca
Recommended for: anyone who cares about politics/economics/things not falling apart
Read in July, 2009

I will have much more to say on this book in an upcoming column. Suffice it to say that if I could insist that the president read just one book, any book, it would be this one.

I have critiques sure — early on it could use either more technical backing up, or more layperson-friendly walking through.

But it's so incredibly refreshing to have a decidedly capitalist, non-radical economically trained someone call such thorough bullshit on the "but we have to let the markets decide" excuse for everything a handful of lazy business execs want to do to enrich themselves.

The best part though, is that it didn't just reinforce what I thought I knew. It challenged some assumptions and gave me new reasons or language for others. I'm going to have to read it again to be able to hold enough in my head to have the debate, but I intend to do so...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Predator State.