Christina's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

May 12, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books-2006-edition, 2010, fiction, 1001-books-2008-edition, to-re-read, 1001-books-2010-edition, 1001-books-combined-edition
Read from March 23 to April 05, 2010, read count: 1

I had a bit of a difficult time becoming fully absorbed in this book - probably because I expected something different. I've heard of Wuthering Heights of course but I had Heathcliff pictured as the great romantic hero where he in fact is more the great Romantic hero, a character that made me thing of Edmund Burke's idea of the sublime and Caspar David Friedrich's paintings. His raw temper, emotions and energy enters everything and everyone in this book and all events and people are shaped by his constant love and possessive feelings toward Cathy Earnshaw.

As a young boy, Heathcliff is brought home by Mr Earnshaw as a brother to his own children, Hindley and Catherine. Catherine and Heatchliff gets along and run and play together like small wild animals, while Hindley dislikes him and when Mr Earnshaw dies, Hindley disowns Heathcliff and he has to work in the stables and the fields.
On one of their escapades, Cathy is bitten by a dog belonging to their neighbours, the Lintons. Here she meets Edgar, the man whom she will eventually marry. When Heathcliff finds out, he disappears for two years but he eventually comes back and becomes the master of Wuthering Heights.
His return unravels Cathy and with her, the entire Linton family as Edgar's sister Isabella thinks herself in love with Heathcliff and flees with him.
Heatchliff's passion poisons everything around him - even the next generation ... But even though Heathcliff plots and plots, maybe love will survive some day in spite of Heathcliff's attempts at forcing his will.

The story is cleverly told by Cathy's old nanny, Ellen Dean to Mr Lockwood, Heathcliff's new tenant, after he has visited Wuthering Heights and is shocked by the relationships between the people, he meets there.

It's an extremely powerful story with some powerful characters that makes all the other characters dance at their slightest wish. Cathy and Heatchliff are two characters that will stay with every reader for a very long time.

I think this book is one that will benefit from being re-read. I think part of the reason I gave it three stars was that my expectations got too much in the way of too much of the book. But now, I know what to expect and I think it will definitely grow on me.

Edit: Well, it's been almost two months since I finished this book and afterwards I've watched the movie starring Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes and liked it and I've found myself going back to these people again and again, I just keep thinking about them. And because of this continuing surfacing of these characters in my mind, I've decided for once to change my rating from 3 to 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

03/23/2010 page 77
21.57% "Really enjoying this. Never read it before and can't say I really know the story either so happy to be reading it at last!"
03/28/2010 page 164
45.94% "Well, Heathcliff is not exactly my choice of a nice man - cruel to both woman and animals ..." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rhonda An interesting and different vision of Wuthering Heights. I think that it is harder these days to appreciate the raw male passion in this book in our age, but one cannot deny that it is a powerful commodity, even if one is no longer swept of her feet by it.

Christina Yeah, it's easy to just go to the strong feminist position and wonder why they all put up with him but I think it's possible to be swept of your feet by the book even though Heathcliff is more of an has-been type of male character and not one, you would appreciate having a relationship with today, no mater how strong his passion is.