Mojca's Reviews > On Target

On Target by Catherine Mann

Watching a bird take a dump is more suspenseful than this book. At least you get to wonder where the bird poo is going to land. With the first 19 chapters filled with the leading couple pre-divorce marital problems and pseudo-angst, and another couple’s skirting the issue of him having called her a different name in bed (four years ago!), this book had no room for wondering about the bad guys and their martyr-ish quest.

All the action and resolution was crammed into the 20th chapter, offering no specific reason for the bad guys’ martyr-ish quest, but only serving as the turning point for the solving of the pre-divorce marital problems and pseudo-angst of the leading couple. The other couple resolved their issue early on.

Call me nuts, but I expect much, much more from a romantic suspense labeled book. Some suspense would be nice. And female characters that I don’t want to bitch-slap into kingdom-come. For all their self-sacrificing, NGO-working, third-world-country-children-adopting, holier-than-thou qualities, the two female protagonists (the married and single one) just plainly got on my nerves. I’m all for girl power, but not everything is the man’s fault. And it figures the two would figure it out when it was almost too late and proceeded with "celebrating" their newfound knowledge in the last (21st) chapter.

Boring, uneventful until the second-to-last crammed chapter, and with characters that did absolutely nothing for me (not even the men, hunky flyboys with god-like looks). A total waste of time and brain-cells.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Target.

06/26/2009 page 106
28.34% "A rather boring start despite the attack on the camp, mostly due to the marital issues of the two leads. Snore."
07/07/2009 page 227
60.7% "This is so snore- worthy I’m thinking of chucking this one and read something else. I’m curious about the bad guy, though. Hmmm."

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Wow. Thanks for the warning, Alathea.