Angela Ansberry's Reviews > Heat: How to Stop the Planet From Burning

Heat by George Monbiot

Oct 22, 10

Read from October 04 to 22, 2010

Monbiot examines the different ways in which we might reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 90% in a economically practical way. He admits from the beginning that it will not be easy, but states that if we begin immediately, reducing carbon emissions to a level that will "stop the planet from burning" is possible. Monbiot seems to a have masterful handle on the science, which actually made it difficult for me to read since I am not a science minded person. However, I understood enough to understand his explanations of how we got ourselves into this mess and how we can change the course we are on, as difficult as it may be. He presents a very balanced view of the situation, admitting that economical issues presented by the right must be considered in developing solutions. He examines in depth the many solutions presented by the left, not shying away from critizing those solutions for their problems, such as the impact on poorer countries of relying to heavily on biodiesel. Though Monbiot spends gives consideration to the political obstacles and ramifications of the climate change debate, he ultimately bases his conclusions on years of research and study backed up by a thick bibliography. If you are looking for an informative read on the issue of climate change that cuts through all the political bs to, and you don't mind wading through the depths of scientific-ese, Heat will be well worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat.