Lizzie's Reviews > The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Jun 12, 2009

bookshelves: library, children-s, 2009, reread, borrowed
Read in June, 2009 , read count: at least 3, I think

The edition from my childhood is this one, with scary Turtle on the cover. But we watched "Silence of the Lamb" the other day, and Chris got it out of the library.

A perfect read for a weekend! It was fun -- going in, I remembered exactly two things about it from reading it as a kid. 1) The exploding wedding present, and 2) Sydelle Pulaski's Polish shorthand. And when I started rereading, I thought, that is a pretty cool pair of things to remember about a book, even if I don't remember the plot twists. As I reread, I found that much of the rest of the detail came out of my memory, too; oh right, the braid and the shin-kicks.

It's interesting that this is a kids' book. I mean, there's really only one kid in it. A couple older teenagers, but they're peripheral players. Mostly the people who matter most in this book is one kid, and a bunch of weird adults. I think that's kind of great -- kids read this book and are like, grown-ups are weird. The introduction to this edition describes the writing as "for the adult in children," which is a good thing to think about.

It makes me a little sad I did not remember that this takes place in Milwaukee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westing Game.

01/17 marked as: read

message 1: by Noiresque (new) - added it

Noiresque I am totally looking at your reviews for gift ideas. Would this be suitable for a 7-8 year old, a 11-12 year old, or neither?

Lizzie That is super cute.

I'd guess that 11-12 would really appreciate this! It's a mystery with lots of clues in the book (the reader is the only one who knows all the clues), and full of details about sort of off-putting people. It's both funny and a little disturbing? I don't remember how old I was when I read it as a kid, but I could see it bewildering a younger one.

message 3: by Noiresque (new) - added it

Noiresque Cheers, I'll pick this one up as well. I didn't buy my oldest niece a birthday present (oops) so I'll get this for Christmas along with the first few Anastasia Krupnik books.