Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors by Shannon McKenna

Apr 23, 2011

bookshelves: hot-and-steamy-romance, owned-copy, part-of-a-series, romantic-suspense, grumpy-surly-brooding-hero, bad-boy-rake-or-rogue, revenge, stalkerific-hero, emotional-baggage, tortured-hero, tormented-heroine, sweet-heroine, almost-virgin-heroine, uber-alpha-caveman-hero, nerd-prof-scientist-genius-geek, danielle-friendly-erotic-romance, hero-hard-to-like, hero-i-liked, hero-or-heroine-wears-glasses, hero-redeems-himself, heroine-i-liked, hero-with-testosterone-toxicity, character-multi-ethnic-heritage
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: Lacy
Recommended for: Fans of very steamy romance with overbearing caveman heroes
Read from April 21 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** My sister has talked about how much she loves this book for years. I can see why she likes it. It was thoroughly entertaining!

My Thoughts:
*Ms. McKenna is a very good writer. She uses words very elegantly and beautifully. This book surprised me with its imagery. I liked the motifs of Seth as the cold, dark knight who wanted badly to win the sweet, beautiful princess locked in her tower. He wanted to save her from the darkness around her, and even herself. I think that this fairy tale theme illuminated what could have been a very dark story.
*Seth is a one of a kind hero. There were times I thought he was a real jackass, pardon my French. He is rude, rough, domineering, and unforgiving. Other times, there was a scared, lonely little boy inside of him so in need of love. That's what made me like him. I love stalkerific heroes, no question about it. But, it was pretty edgy how he was recording Raine, bugging her house and her person. Also, he was pretty rough in bed sometimes for my tastes. I liked that Raine seemed to know how to deal with him in a way that made the dark, cold brute go away, and the sweet boy come to life. I liked how she would touch and pet him, her gentleness knowing how to calm him like a animal that had turned vicious out of abuse. I liked how much he needed Raine. He didn't know how to love, or how to express it, but he somehow managed to do that anyway, with her help. His declaration of love was so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes. I can't say that Seth is one of my favorite heroes, but I did come to like him and understand him. I understand how a hard life like his could turn someone cold and isolated. I think that Ms. McKenna did a great job of showing how Raine's love broke that permafrost and freed the man inside. I loved that Seth is a tech-geek. He really knows his stuff. I didn't mind his social awkwardness, for the most part, although I disliked some of the rude things he said to Raine (and his lack of trust in her at times). Although Seth is definitely an uber-alpha (very domineering and kind of mean about it), he turned out okay in the end. I saw him grow and I saw his pain and yearning for love and peace, which is what I needed to like him.
*Boy does this author know how to write steamy love scenes. I could do without the frequent use of the 'c' word for the female anatomy (I hate that word), but otherwise, she managed to write the encounters between Raine and Seth as volcanic-hot, but also deeply romantic (even though I thought some of the encounters were a bit on the rough side, it helped that Seth would back down when Raine showed him that he was coming on too strong). At the same time, it was clear that he wanted to please her and for her to be wild and free in her sexuality (which was something she wanted too). I think the love scenes furthered the story beautifully, showing the dynamic between Raine and Seth, and how it changed as their love connection blossomed. Also, there was real communication there, a lowering of barriers, something that was not easy for either character.
*Raine was an adorable heroine. I didn't expect to find one in a romantica read. I have this impression that the heroines would be more jaded and hardened, which is not something I prefer in a heroine, unless it is well done and fits the story. Raine was a very sweet, gentle, loving person. At times, I thought maybe too good for Seth. But, I realize that she is the perfect woman for Seth. She really saw his heart and wasn't afraid to be vulnerable when needed, but also showed backbone and stood up to him and showed she was no pushover. I liked her journey to find her strength and to conquer her tormented past. Seth was willing to kill her dragons, but she did most of that on her own. And she tamed the biggest dragon of all--Seth. I really liked her.
*The suspense elements were pretty dark, which is okay with me, although there was some sexual stuff that was a bit out of my comfort zone, and thankfully not a huge part of the story. And I was glad that wasn't in Raine and Seth's relationship. Victor Lazar was an interesting villain. He had depths that made him very intriguing, and he showed that even a bad man can love. His dynamic with Raine was quite fascinating. I ended up feeling sad for the guy. However, Novak is a piece of slime, and I think he got off lightly, considering.

I really enjoyed this book. It was my backup/gym book, but I ended up devouring it, because I couldn't put it down. I am glad my sister and some of my other friends talked this one up. Because I was quite impressed with this book, I'd give it 4.5/5.0 stars. I will read more of Shannon McKenna, although I appreciate my sister's warning that her other heroes are more dominating and overbearing than Seth. I know I will have to be in the mood for that. Even so, Connor's book is calling my name....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind Closed Doors.

Lacy I'm so glad you did end up enjoying this one. I loved that it was a really good steamy, romantic, suspenseful read.

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Great review, Danielle! I have to get started on this series soon. I want to move it up in my TBR pile now.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Ally. I was wondering if you had read it. I thought you might like it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I haven't read your review because it's tagged spoilers, but I'm planning to read this one soon!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You should, D. I think you will like it.

message 7: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 I have it, Danielle...I just need to read it. I don't think I have it on my list here either. I need to update my TBR books on goodreads again.

Amanda Great review Danielle - you summed up both Seth and Raine perfectly!

You are definitely right about the darkness of the suspense plot - that is one thing that McKenna does really well in this series, there is a slightly disturbing feel to the plot and villains but not so much that it is overwhelming.

If you liked this book you will definitely like the rest of the series, although Seth is definitely the most uber-alpha (but some of her stand-alones have very similar characters - especially Hot Night). The next book in this series was my least favorite, but still pretty good.

AgentScully I've read this one twice. I LOVE Seth!

Fab review Dr. D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Ally, it seems like I'm forever trying to update my collection on Goodreads. It would help if I stopped buying books. :)

Thanks Amanda and Scully.

You're tough, Scully. Seth is fierce!

Wminbc I have read this series 2X now and onto my 3rd time...Sean is my all time fav!!! but Seth is right there...as for the women...Tamar ROCKS!!!

Wminbc Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I'm looking forward to Tam's story."

You will love it...Ultimate Weapon was quite possibly the best book in the series. Tam kicks the shit out of everything and still has the energy to kiss the baby and the hunky man...plus squeeze in a wedding! I love that part of the series...that the next couple is attending the wedding of the one before!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Cool. She seems like a very cool character!

Lisa Kay One of my favs; I guess I have going to have to change my "ultra-alpha-hero" shelf to "uber-alpha-hero". Great review, Lady D.!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Lisa! I don't know where I first heard 'uber-alpha', but it works so well for the OTT alpha heroes.