Dera Weaver's Reviews > Felicia's Journey

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

F 50x66
Jun 12, 2009

Read in June, 2009

I think now I will start on a William Trevor marathon--I loved The Story of Lucy Gault, and now Felicia's Journey has drawn me toward Trevor again. I've never been very good about sniffing out all the underlying political and religious tangles in Irish writing, but I do so completely "get" Trevor's take on one of my own persistent questions, one that is possibly my strongest reason for reading at all: how much is enough to make a life?
There is in this book a gradual tightening of the story that's pleasant, but no more than that, and the revelation of the villain's past was satisfying (I refuse to say "well-done" or "Trevor does a good job with x", after so many years of hearing middle schoolers offer such praise to William Golding or George Orwell or Harper Lee, or whomever), but the meditation on Felicia's life that comes at the end was just what I was looking for. Isn't something always better than nothing? And who's to say what constitutes that something?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Felicia's Journey.

05/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie I think you've persuaded me to give this one another try. I really loved Trevor's use of language and plot in the short stories of A Bit on The Side, but kept stalling out partway through Felicia's Journey. Sounds like it's worth sticking with.

Dera Weaver Natalie wrote: "I think you've persuaded me to give this one another try. I really loved Trevor's use of language and plot in the short stories of A Bit on The Side, but kept stalling out partway through Felicia's..."

Good idea, Natalie--and it's a quick read--re-visit it when you have some time. And let me know if you agree with me on the ending.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz It's been years since I read Felicia's Journey, and I remember loving Trevor's writing style. Your review makes me want to go back and read it again - did I miss something? Or have I forgotten? We'll see.