Rachel's Reviews > Jitterbug Perfume

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Feb 08, 10

liked it
Read in July, 2009

I loved the beginning and the ending! I liked the author's hilariously witty writing style, and I do think he is genius for coming up with all of this stuff, including the sweeping plot that goes across continents and centuries, and the bizarre sexual similes and metaphors he casually throws in here and there. Once I got to the ending and saw how everything came together, I smiled from ear to ear. At that moment, I was very glad I had read the whole thing, it was quite satisfying. HOWEVER ... what this wonderful genius author needs is a good editor. Even though the writing was generally good, the book felt TOO LONG! I felt like I wasn't making any progress as I was reading. Each page went by so slowly, especially in the middle of the book.

Or: a quicker and perhaps better fix would be: a new print layout. Maybe the problem is our expectation: it looks like such a small little paperback, less than 350 pages, it's supposed to be funny, light reading that you can just breeze through. But what you don't realize is ... the print is crazy-ass small, and it takes a long time to read each page! AHA! So there's the catch! So many words and information squeezed on each page! UGH!!! I think if this could easily be 500 pages-plus with a breezier print layout. Then, if people were sitting down to read a book with 500+ pages, they'd have more of an idea of what they were getting into. And with fewer words on each page, the page will fly by, much better! There's something psychologically satisfying about reading a page-turner.

Of course, a good editor could shorten it ... but I understand how he/she may not want to cut out any Tom Robbins witticisms. So I think increasing the font size and the line spacing would help a lot.

I almost want to give this 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much by the conclusion. But I'm sticking with 3 for now, out of solidarity with the ME that was very exasperated with the tremendous "slow going" I experienced through the middle.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jitterbug Perfume.

07/08/2009 page 62
07/14/2009 page 102
29.82% 5 comments
07/23/2009 page 212
61.99% "I started to like it more again, after our book club meeting. I think I will finish this." 1 comment

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Jul 28, 2009 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan Rachel, So, do you vote yes or maybe for recommending it to other book clubs? Thanks.

Edit: Apologies if you already told me - I have this feeling you might have. I have everybody else's votes ready to post.

Rachel Oh, I guess I didn't tell you. Although I liked the book, and it gave me a lot of good things to think about ... I guess I'll have to say "Maybe" when it comes to recommending it to other book clubs.

Lisa Vegan Thanks. Most of us voted maybe. I'll post at our group here and BAVeg forum when I get home.

Lisa Vegan Rachel, You missed your calling as an editor or a person who hires editors. ;-)