Somantika's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Jun 20, 2009

Read in June, 2009

This is a historical novel based on the affair of the renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright with his client's wife Mamah Cheney. Being extremely sensitive to infidelity, reading the development of this extra marital relationship disturbed me but the style and the presentation made it an engrossing read. Even if it bothers me badly, I can see how people with perfectly nice partners can fall in love outside of marriage, but I shall never understand or be able to defend a mother leaving small innocent children while they are asleep. Children do not have the luxury to choose their parents and if children are brought into this world then it is the parents' sole responsibility to care for them and give them the best environment possible for a healthy life. All the talk of "it's wrong to be in a marriage that lacks love" etc. seems plain nonsense when there are little children's lives involved. Mrs. Cheney even thought it fair to ask her unmarried sister to care for her children while she went to Europe to live with Wright.

I felt no pain or sympathy for Mamah Cheney. She rightly earned all the anguish that she experienced. Frank Wright also fully deserved his share of pain. He really wasn't a nice human being as a lot of exceptionally smart people tend to be. Mamah Cheney had a devoted husband, two lovely children, a wonderful friend in a sister, a dilligent nanny for the kids. A lot of women would die for all that she had. Without a job or enough productive activities it seems that she had way too much free time to kill and "an idle brain became a devil's workshop" - that's how I would explain it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.