Deborah's Reviews > Same Difference

Same Difference by Siobhan Vivian

2069669
Jun 26, 09

Read in June, 2009

Sixteen-year-old Emily struggles to discover her identity as she goes back and forth between an art program in Philadelphia and sunning in the suburbs in New Jersey.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and will probably read the author's first book, A Little Friendly Advice soon. A little predictable, but definitely enjoyable. Fun and interesting, and I'll definitely recommend this at my library.

However, one thing really bothered me about the plot . . . (SPOILERS AHEAD)

-Emily is a REALLY bad friend to her best friend Meg. I can't even really understand what Emily was mad at Meg about when it was Emily who was being so mean. The plot point about Meg and her new boyfriend was the weakest part of the story. But that still does not excuse the fact to me that Emily was practically begging to be Fiona's friend again when Fiona was obviously using Emily and did something horrible, but when Meg is a good friend and comes to Emily's art show despite Emily being a huge bitch, and is a GOOD FRIEND, but Emily's basically just like, "hey whatever. Cool we'll be friends again. But where's Fiona?"
All right that was quite the ramble.

-One other thing that bothered me -- Meg and Emily, two very rich girls, as the book points out, plan to go to TRENTON STATE together? Completely unbelievable! Rutgers -- believable. Trenton State? Sorry, no.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Same Difference.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Katie Thank you! I was SO disappointed when Emily continued to obsess over Fiona, after everything she did. For me it kind of ruined Emily's growth as a character.