Miska's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Oct 11, 09

Read in October, 2009

What a wonderful book! Truly deserves to be called a classic! The story of young Pip is told so patiently, firmly and with such style only a master in full control of his craft is able to pull of. Dickens introduces the reader one by one to an astonishing amount of memorable characters, all of whom become vivid, real persons with their own distinctive speech patterns and personalities.
Although most characters remains their own rigid caricatures, the main character of Pip truly changes with time. It is after all he who tells the story.
There's action, but Dickens really shines in describing emotions and discussions. Some characters put words to other people's mouths, while others try to talk higher-class than they can and some are just plain evil. There are many twists and turns, which make the whole long undertaking very gratifying. The book rewards the reader all the time with descriptions of life in the nineteeth century England with convicts being deported to Australia and working class and upper class being two quite separate worlds trying to coexist in the same society. Everybody knows their place, but Pip, who surprisingly comes to have "great expectations". What follows is a kind of "rags-to-riches" story, but really this might be the first of its kind. And even if it isn't, it might well be the best one ever told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

Quotes Miska Liked

Charles Dickens
“All other swindlers upon earth are nothing to the self-swindlers, and with such pretences did I cheat myself. Surely a curious thing. That I should innocently take a bad half-crown of somebody else's manufacture, is reasonable enough; but that I should knowingly reckon the spurious coin of my own make, as good money!”
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Charles Dickens
“Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.”
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations