Ademption's Reviews > Don Quixote

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don Quixote.

06/12/2009 page 30
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Let me know what you think of this translation. I was looking at this very edition the other day at Chapters. I read the first few pages of it, along with two other translations, and thought this particular one was the best in terms of readability.

Jason How's this one going? =)

message 3: by Ademption (new) - added it

Ademption I've re-read the first hundred pages twice. I get to the Shepard pastoral bit and stop caring.

Jason I'm about 40% of the way done. I'm liking it better than you were, I think.

message 5: by Ademption (new) - added it

Ademption The human condition: the joke's on us since all people are crazy and we succeed sometimes and get our asses kicked lots and both very randomly. Thanks, Cervantes. Maybe one day I'll read the last 900 pages, which I bet say that in different picaresque anecdotes.

I got farther in and enjoyed The Manuscript Found in Saragossa more. But still haven't finished that one either.

message 6: by Ademption (new) - added it

Ademption I'm probably just being a picaresque novel hipster, and also the Manuscript was more sarcastic and absurdly deadpan.

message 7: by Jason (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason I also think it's funny how DQ behaves as though the world has changed, not being what it "used to be" which, 400 years later, is still something you hear people complain about a lot. So it's like, maybe things don't really change all that much after all?

I'll have to check out that Potocki one. Thanks, Evan.

message 8: by Ademption (new) - added it

Ademption Sure thing, Jason.