Tara's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

519606
Jun 12, 09

bookshelves: politics, classic, fiction, sci-fi, society, all-time-favourites
Read in June, 2009

I just inhaled this book. I can't remember the last time I read a book from start to finish without engaging any other book during that time.
While the Big Brother concept and the theme of Power in the book are obvious and well known, I got more out of the personal journey of Winston.
His doubt over false memories, his certain uncertainty; everything is well constructed.
The characters and scenes are complete. Nothing is overlooked.
I haven't read Orwell before, and I was amazed how I loved him as a writer, rather than a storyteller. The story is fine, and surely quite revolutionary in it's day, though frankly I was expecting more. But the writing captured me wholly. He weaves a complete picture for the reader, where you can see the streets, the offices, know the look and feel of a room, know the voices of the characters. I knew what Winston was feeling at every moment. While I didn't know what was coming in the story, I was never surprised. But I truly felt as if I was part of the book, as if I was there as it progressed.
It has been a while since I read magnificent literature, and Nineteen Eighty Four has reaffirmed my belief that literary genius is indeed a rarity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.