Megan Palasik's Reviews > Gap Creek

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read from February 15 to 21, 2012, read count: 1

I listened to this as an audio book, so my experience may be different than that of other readers.

The woman who read this book, Kate Forbes, did a good job. She used voices for each of the characters (not as drastically different as some actors I've heard read books, but good enough) and did a good job with the Appalachian dialect as far as I could tell. I'd give her 4/5 stars.

I checked this book out from the library because I heard to much hype about it a couple of years ago. I didn't really know anything about it, but I like period books and the brief description on the back sounded interesting to me.

I really liked the story. There really wasn't much of a "plot" per se, as much as the story told of the couple's trials and tribulations throughout their first year of marriage. Hank and Julie went through quite a bit, after having only "dated" for less than a month. They moved down the mountain and moved in with an old man who Julie was expected to care for while Hank was at work and in exchange they didn't pay rent. After the old man dies from being burned Hank and Julie are left to fend for themselves and decide what to do about the house. The heirs to the "estate" are unable to be found, but Julie and Hank don't know what rights they have to the property or even who the heirs might be.

At times, I found the dialogue a little annoying because it always seemed to go like this:
"........," Hank said.
"........," Julie said.
"........," Hank said.
which got monotonous after a while, especially when listening to it. I expected more to happen with the dialogue in the same way the scenes throughout the story were described.

Overall, I thought this was a great story. It's not happy by any means, but it sounds real and Hank and Julie make it through all kinds of hardships together. I like hearing Julie's inner monologue about her discussions with Hank and her reactions (or lack thereof) to what he does and says. I also liked hearing her interactions with her mother-in-law. She is a very strong woman character.

This audio edition also had an interview with the author at the end. I found it very interesting to hear from the author how he loosely based this book on life of his grandparents. I also learned he has published another book based on his other set of grandparents that I look forward to reading some day.

Great quote from the author during the interview:
"There's often more truth in fiction than in non-fiction because the fiction writer is free to get to the heart of things...doesn't have to stick with the surface facts. It can create and arrange the facts to get to the moral truth to the emotional truth to the spiritual truth." ~Robert Morgan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gap Creek.

02/17/2012