Jessica's Reviews > A Sister's Hope

719406
Jun 11, 2009

liked it
Read in June, 2009

Out of all the Sisters of Holmes County books A Sister’s Hope (Sisters of Holmes County, Book 3) is my favorite. I enjoyed the youngest sistern270531, Martha, probably more than either of the older sisters. Her spunk and determination to not simply sit back while her family continues to be attacked and receive threats, as well as her persistence to not just settle down and get married but pursue her own business set her apart from the other sisters.

The author, Wanda Brunstetter, never really tells the reader why Martha falls in love with Luke. She doesn’t really have any interactions with him in the previous books and he’s been painted as a “bad boy” up until this book. So, that aspect didn’t really make sense. Although once they begin working together and seeing more of each other you can see how their relationship and affection develops.

Like I said, this was my favorite in the series but it still had its faults in my opinion. Grace was still whiny and a worry-wart although less so than in A Sister’s Test (Book 2). The dialogue often feels unnatural, very scripted as if the characters (usually the more minor characters) were reading lines rather than being themselves. A few times the Martha’s actions seemed a little too “wild,” I guess is the way to put it, to be Amish–but, hey, what do I know!

I did enjoy seeing Ruth’s story develop and the resolution with the attacks on the family. In the final chapter where the attacks are resolved I felt there was some good depth to the characters and their conversation about God followed naturally, rather than feeling like an obligatory insert as is often the case in Christian fiction.

Overall, I enjoyed the series and recommend it if you’re interested in Amish fiction and looking for a quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sister's Hope.