Stephen's Reviews > Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

Jun 11, 2009

bookshelves: lost
Read in June, 2009

"anything that comes out of the South is going to be called grotesque by the northern reader, unless it is grotesque, in which case it is going to be called realistic." - Flannery O'Connor. I read this quote before beginning the book and I'm glad I did. This is a collection of nine short stories by the author. I regret to say that I had not even heard of O'Connor prior to this book, and I picked it up because "Jacob" was reading it on the season finale of "LOST". I'm a sucker for the books suggested on that show, and I have quite enjoyed the suggestions. Miss O'Connor is a great writer and the characters in these short stories were such beautifully original and realistically flawed characters that it makes you want to weep. I can't say that the stories end happily, but there is an underlying sense of hope in the stories that I can't quite put my finger on, which makes me enjoy it all the more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything That Rises Must Converge.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Griffith She was one of my favorite authors in college--perhaps my favorite. Love her short stories. But I never read this book. I'd love to see your review if you have the notion to review it.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Griffith Thanks for the review. I checked out the table of contents on Amazon, and I see I've read several of these. If memory serves, "Revelation" is the one in the doctor's office. I think that is one of the most fabulous stories of all time. I sometimes find myself thinking that girl's shout/accusation, "Go back to hell where you came from, you old wart hog!" Or whatever it was. I love how O'Connor brings her characters to their moment of grace so ungracefully and yet gracefully, shows them how imperfect they really are. Thanks for the reminder! Writing like hers is why I learned to love to read.

Stephen I'm so glad that I stumbled across her writing as well. I actually picked up her entire short stories and am looking forward to reading through the whole thing. You are correct about her stories and there continue to be little phrases and idiosyncraties that keep coming to mind that she wove into her stories. Thanks for prodding a review.