Jill's Reviews > The Journey

The Journey by Anne Cameron

Jun 11, 09

bookshelves: dessert-books, glbtq, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2009, read count: dozens

This is the story of Anne and Sarah (and eventually Ruth), who travel through Canada in the mid to late 1800's from a dusty prairie town to the lush, wet shores of the Pacific.

It is a fairly mainstream depiction of the trials and tribulations of the westward migration around that time, but told from a feminist perspective. The main characters are hard working women who make their own way through life without needing men to rescue them.

Cameron also weaves in other bits of history, like the plight of the Chinese who were worked to death building the railroads, and the racism towards the native people and those of African descent. There is some violence, but for the most part it is over quickly and is neither gratuitous nor unnecessary. (The same is true with the sex, only it's even more rare and mostly implied.) Some of the dialogue is a bit modern sounding, but none of it is hokey or strained.

If you like historical fiction, especially Oregon Trail era books, and you also like lesbians (or at least implied lesbianism), this is a yummy comfort novel that you can come back to again and again.

It is a shame this book is out of print - it's really a timeless classic of a feminist western. I stumbled upon it in a used bookstore and bought it not knowing that it had lesbian themes running all through it, or anything else about it. I think it was destiny, because I love this book and have read it more times than I can count.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey.