Libby Ames's Reviews > Summerland

Summerland by Michael Chabon

Jun 11, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult-fiction
Read in June, 2009

I was intrigued by an author who writes in a variety of diverse genres. Most writers stick to one and get really good at it, but Chabon likes to jump around. Even within the young adult genre, this is the most unique book I've read. The story is almost indescribable, but familiar at the same time.

Based in four interconnected worlds with characters of all shapes and sizes, the one linking factor is baseball. Baseball, literally, rules all the worlds. Significant events in our world (the Middling) we find were really determined by some baseball game held in Summerland or the Winterlands. Traveling through these worlds of baseball, Ethan Feld and his best friend Jennifer T. find friends to make their own baseball team and battle their enemies on various miraculous baseball diamonds.

Not being a fan of baseball (a blasphemy in Summerland), I am sure there was a lot that went over my head. In spite of my weakness, I appreciated the characters and the extremely inventive plot. A well-written novel that stands entirely on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summerland.