Jill Williamson's Reviews > Gallimore

Gallimore by Michelle Griep

Jun 11, 2009

Review by Jill Williamson

Jessica Neal is still recovering from the death of her husband. She travels to England for a peaceful getaway. Maggie finds the ruins of the castle Gallimore. A storm happens upon her and before she can find her way back to the main road, she crashes. When she wakes up, her car is gone and she is stranded in the forest. But she is not alone.

A medieval knight is there as well. When he wakes, he is rude and talks to her with a strange accent. Maggie thinks she has stumbled onto a strange tourist attraction, but the knight, Sir Colwyn, will not let up with the charade. He takes her to castle Gallimore, which is fully standing and filled with life. Jessica can find no explanation for it except that she has somehow traveled back in time.

She instantly becomes the target for Sir Colwyn’s evil brother who believes that she is the fulfillment of a prophecy. Can Jessica and Sir Colwyn overcome their fear and anger to fight this evil foe? Will Jessica be lost in the past forever?

What a well-written and fun adventure. Seeing medieval England through the eyes of Jessica Neal was delightful. Griep created a fearful and realistic place in castle Gallimore. Her medieval characters came alive with her descriptions and dialogue. I loved how Sir Colwyn and Jessica had similar fears and that when they discovered them, their anger melted away. I kept wondering as I read how Griep would end this tale and was oddly surprised and satisfied. I recommend this fun and romantic read for older teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gallimore.