Cheryl's Reviews > On the Road

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: new-classics, 100-banned-books, 50-books-for-2010, modern-greats
Read from August 02 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** What an interesting read this was. Beautiful prose had me riding with Sal out west. I felt a little lost after he got out there. Maybe I was feeling a part of the group in some way. At no point beyond the initial trip out, did I think any of the group had freedom. Just a different type of bondage.

None the less, it was a poetic, sad journey. My perceptions of what I thought I would be reading were far different than what I read. It wasn't quite the hip, cool jazz set I expected.

I'm glad I read this finally. Now to convince my 17 year old it is a worth while read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Road.

08/04/2010 page 12
08/04/2010 page 33
11.0% "I'm finding it is taking me longer to read this book than I expected. It isn't that it is slow or difficult. It is more that I want to savor it, like eating dark chocolate. I want to enjoy every sentence." 1 comment
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Weakley I began this at 4 am. You know's a great book for 4 am! Hahah

Cheryl I'm getting up at 3:30am tomorrow. I was going to start it tonight, but maybe I'll wait. ;)

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Weakley I was saying to someone today about this book that the progression is Huck Finn...Bound For Glory...and then On The Road. They each describe your country for a large section of the populace during their time periods.

Cheryl Love Huck Finn and so far, On the Road. I'll have to add Bound for Glory to my list. You would never know by my reading material, but I am a history nut. Not good with names or dates, but I love reading about it or watching documentaries about history.

My grandfather (and grandmother to a lesser extent) was an archeologist, so it must be from that side of the family I got the interest from.

message 5: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Weakley Great review. It was a surprise for me too. I think I might pick up Junky today and give Burroughs a try after reading what Kerouac said about him.