Shelly's Reviews > No Safe Place

No Safe Place by JoAnn Ross

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish, audiobook-version, romance
Read from June 12 to 17, 2012

I had to stop this after disc 3. This really disappoints me, but I guess it's proof positive that our tastes change with age. I just hope this means mine is getting better, lol.

The first time I read this book was about 5 years ago, and I gave it 3 stars. Now I don't know what I ever saw in it to give it that. Maybe it's the audiobook. First time I read it, now I'm listening to it. I thought the narrator was okay, nothing to write home about, but she wasn't as grating as the last narrator I listened to. I can't believe I never noticed this author's penchant for using cliches and being so predictable/silly in her phrasing. And she must like passion fruit because she mentions it in this book (the hero pictures the heroine eating passion fruit on the beach with the juices flowing, in more than one way) and the last (it was the heroine's scent I think).

Besides the cliches and silly phrasing, the fact that the heroine is an identical twin, and the hero knew the twin first, but wasn't attracted to her, and when the heroine comes in to investigate her twin's death, now he's attracted, besides that silliness, I was done when the heroine, Kate and the stereotypical Cajun hero, Nick were shot at. Not because they were shot at, just their reactions afterwards. They're walking down the street after dinner, talking about things, Nick notices a red laser pointed at her chest (because he's staring) and pushes her down to avoid the shot. When the all clear is given, they both get up, and Kate asks how he knew they were being targeted, he explains he was checking out her rack. Now, they were just fired upon several times, and even though they are both police, I imagine it's not routine for anyone. Instead of focusing on the fact that someone was after her (maybe the people who were out to get her in Chicago followed her to New Orleans?), she's contemplating whether she's mad he was checking her out and noticing he wasn't apologetic about it. How about making sure no one was hurt? Policing the brass? Getting a license plate of the motorcyle the shooter took off on? Or even a little panic you were shot at? I'd even take wondering if Nick was the intended target. Now is not the time for sexual thoughts, even if you are angry he was checking you out. He just saved your life, you can thank and ream him later.

This plus the following statements (please note these are just a few of the phrases that made me nauseous, add them all together, stir in some more and you get this author's style - which I use to like, so joke's on me too):

Never let them see you sweat.

She was wound as tight as a seven day clock on the eighth day.

He flashed what more than one lover had referred to as his lady killer smile, 'And believe me cher, I'm worth it.'

If you think I look bad, you should see the other guy.

Enough already. I never use to leave books unfinished. Would slug it out for days and weeks, sometimes even months just to finish them. But if anything this rut I'm in has taught me to learn to let go of stuff that just doesn't work for me anymore. There are far too many other books out there I'm wanting to read, no need in wasting time on stuff that takes entirely too much time I could be spending on better stuff. Even if it's so-so, if I can't feel excited to pick up the book and keep going, just let it go. Even six months ago I would have kept at it, but I would have gotten through very few books with this rut I'm stuck in. Time for drastic measures means I'm now okay with having DNFs on my shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Safe Place.

12/20/2013 marked as: did-not-finish