Linda's Reviews > The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam

The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam by Chris Ewan

Jun 11, 09

bookshelves: mystery, mystery-book-club
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I had a blast reading this- I love the setup of a thief by night, thriller writer by day protagonist. I liked Charlie Henderson (mostly), and found the plot convoluted but satisfyingly resolved.
Some reasons I only gave it 3 stars: no sense of place; the female characters are caricatures (think James Bond here), and a couple of hackneyed plot devices, such as having something valuable hidden in a seemingly worthless object, and the great reveal scene to explain the solution of the mystery. I do think Ewan manages to pull the plotting off with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, so this didn't ruin the book for me. There were also a couple of annoying errors, such as "she wore a ...kimono that complimented the dark, glossy air tied atop her head." Oh, and I love the one where the *editor* character confuses metaphors with similes. Where's a good copy editor when you need one? However, this was a light and engaging read in spite of its flaws, and I look forward to reading more in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam.