Jake's Reviews > The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet

The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson

1995871
Jun 11, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, science
Read in June, 2009

For the first half of my reading, I felt this book was heading for a three star rating. But gradually I became endeared to the subject material.
Here's my main thought: This book is mistitled. If you look at it, the title gives homage to one sci-fi show (X-Files), and employs two titular cliches, "The Rise and Fall of..." and "America's favorite..." More importantly, the title is neutral. In reality, this book is a calculated defense of Mr. deGrasse Tyson's role in the changing of Pluto's planetary status.
It took me half the book to embrace that fact, as the author's logic finally won me over.
Also, the first half of the book is a rather cursory history lesson: some of it interesting, some of it sententious. Where the book really takes off is in the second half. There Mr. deGrasse Tyson takes a step back and lets the public hysteria have full voice. That's when this book becomes both thoughtful AND entertaining. By the the last few pages I was thoroughly engaged, and appreciative of the insights the book contains. It's a good read, a quick read, and has some fun cartoons to boot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pluto Files.

06/23/2009 page 49