Januario's Reviews > Begging for Change

Begging for Change by Sharon G. Flake

Jun 11, 09

bookshelves: 2008-2009

Is it a sin to steal even if it is for your mother's survival? For Raspberry Hill, 14-year-old, begging for change and stealing her best friend's for money has become a necessity in order to keep herself from being homeless. Her mother used to do drugs and was severely beaten by one of her neighbors. With only her mother in her life, Raspberry is forced to stand up on her own and fight for the survival of her family. After all the effort she has put in order to steal money from Zora, her drug-addicted father steals the money for his own use. By betraying Zora, not only has she destroyed the relationship between the two of them but she has given his father the opportunity to buy more of his "happiness." Did Raspberry do the right thing by stealing from her best friend? In my opinion, she did the wrong choice. She could have asked for money instead of taking a large amount unnoticed. Sometimes we consider ourselves poor, but there are actual families like Raspberry's who have to beg for change in order to survive. Some even steal or do illegal jobs in order to survive. Reading this book has made me realize what this world has come to be. It is as if we were all in a competition for money, and the more we had, the better our life became. Money, however, is just a piece of paper. It does not buy us everything. Even without it, we can have happiness, be loved, and live this beautiful yet ugly world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Begging for Change.