Januario's Reviews > The Fire Thief

The Fire Thief by Terry Deary

Jun 10, 09

bookshelves: 2008-2009

This book explains the story of Prometheus, a Greek god on the run after stealing fire from Zeus and giving it to the human race. As a form of his punishment, he must be chained to a rock and have his liver torn out by a monstrous bird every day. However, this does not last forever because there comes a time when he escapes. As he wanders around the city, he meets Jim, an orphan who works with his Uncle Edward. The job of his uncle is not something to be taken lightly. He is a con artist, someone who takes advantage of the rich to obtain their wealth. In a way, Uncle Edward is similar to Prometheus because the money that Uncle Edwards steals from the rich people and distributes to the poor is symbolic to the fire that Prometheus stole from the Gods and distributed to the humans. Was it the right thing to do? Did he deserve his punishment? For me, all of that does not matter as long as Prometheus became free. Although we do have unique uses of fire today, we also tend to use fire to cause violence. After reading this book, it made me wonder sometimes that we do not deserve to have fire if we will only use it to destroy each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Thief.