Seth Hahne's Reviews > I Killed Adolf Hitler

I Killed Adolf Hitler by Jason

Jun 10, 09

bookshelves: comics
Read in June, 2009

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with I Killed Adolph Hitler. The single preview page I saw was the one in which our hero enters and emerges from the time machine. It is silent and so I presumed that the book itself might be one of those silent comics. Additionally, the preview blurb on the book's back cover evoked the image of an adventurous thrill ride. Thankfully, both presumptions were mistaken.

The mononymous author, Jason, crafts instead a work with both subtlety and dialogue (and often it's in the dialogue that we find the subtlety). He explores themes of love and life and second chances (not disimilarly to how Jonathan Blow would later meditate on similar themes through his popular videogame Braid. And even more, perhaps, I Killed Adolph Hitler concerns the nature of man.

The protagonist is a hitman who will kill anyone without compunction and without anymore reason than a paycheck. He exists in a world in which such things are commonplace and there are no legal ramifications to his job. Jason, by posing an assassin as hero sheds a different kind of light on Hitler, his next target—and in so doing asks interesting questions about human nature.

While not the most towering literary achievement I've ever encountered, I Killed Adolph Hitler was certainly worth my time (it only took a half hour to read) and Jason presents a terse, well-told and well-managed story that is equal parts humourous, morbid, thoughtful, and touching. I look forward to exploring the rest of his body of work (having only read Why Are You Doing This?).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Killed Adolf Hitler.