Anu's Reviews > The Last Witchfinder

The Last Witchfinder by James K. Morrow

Sep 08, 07

bookshelves: finished
Recommended for: lovers of historical novels, atheists, american history dorks
Read in August, 2007

I don't quite know how to approach my review of this novel. It was absolutely fantastic and in reading professional reviews I added another word to my vocabulary ("picaresque"). Picaresque, according to my trusty "Merriam-Webster online" dictionary, means "a type of fiction dealing with the episodic adventures of of a usually roguish protagonist." Jennet Stearne, the protagonist of this novel, is so much more than "roguish"!

I don't want to say too much and give away the plot. There are larger themes in this novel-science, reason, rationality vs. superstition. The plot itself concers the life of a woman pursuing evidence of a scientific proof to dismiss the existence of witches. Along the way we have Newton and Benjamin Franklin and so many different historical characters. Absolutely fantastically researched-I investigated some stuff in the novel after finishing the book (such as Benjamin Franklin and his son). Morrow has woven Jennet Stearne into the passage of time as though she actually existed. Oh, and have I forgotten to tell you it's narrated by a book? Specifically Newton's Principia Mathematica.

So clever and original. I may actually re-read this one and I don't do that often.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Witchfinder.