Jon's Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Apr 04, 2012

bookshelves: owned-and-unread, currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.

04/04/2012 page 81
05/05/2012 page 295
32.0% 7 comments
05/30/2012 page 361
39.0% 2 comments
07/11/2012 page 440
47.0% "could i go any slower? in my defense im tempering with other things..." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura when we reading this?

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon im nearly finished on current book.. how bout you?

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Um, the current 10 books you mean? Are you ready to go on this soon for real? I didn't know if you'd be up for it now?

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I do think it'd be another booklove for the booktwins.

message 5: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon well... i could be if you want to, i am at a convient break ( even though i have some half finished ones)

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura April 1? It's on my HF TBR challenge list!

message 7: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon ok then :)

is it HF though? i thought it was non fict. shows how much iknow

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon oh.. it does say its a novel, although its written by an ex con Australian i thought based on his own experiences. i never read the discription before lol. sounds quite heavy duty. i thought it was all spiritual :)

message 9: by Laura (last edited Mar 25, 2012 05:47PM) (new) - added it

Laura I thought it was HF based on his memoir. But the HF tbr challenge only required that it be on your tbr. Doesn't have to be HF but u get xtra points for length and for HF and for reviewing it.

Yay so we're on for Apr 1? I think Em and Beth wanna read too and Fi but not sure when on her tho. Wanna discuss in For Reading?

message 10: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona I would like to read it 2012 sometime but probably not any time soon, unfortunately.

Do laugh at you two not seeming to know what this book is about yet, hehe. Non-fiction, historical fiction? Let me know when you find out!

message 11: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon i dont think its HF, but is based on his memoir i think, so i guess a novel loosely based on the truth. Yeah ok will give it a bash on the 1st!. We shall see.. hope its not all slums and gangs and prisons! gets v good reviews loads of people love it so there must be a reason!
Can do in For Reading if you want

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura YAY! Will post a topic over there in case anyone would like to join us!

(((((((((((((((((BOOKTWIN)))))))))))))))))))))

I hope we both love it like we did Count!

message 13: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon that was such a good book... i heart count.

message 14: by Laura (new) - added it

me too

message 15: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura It's fic, but it may not be HF, as you say Jon - I think it says contemporary in the GR desc.

You gonna do the HF TBR challenge?

I'm so looking forward to this book. I started reading the Google preview on GR before buying it and I was so bummed when the pages ran out lol.

message 16: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon isnt the hf challenge 20 books in 1 month or something?

Jackie Yup!! You don't have to finish all 20 though. Just put Shantaram as the first book.

message 18: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon it would prob take me that long to read the one lol

message 19: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura well it is pretty long lol. not as long as COMC tho thankfully

Jackie LOL. That's true, but if you do the audio and book it should go a lot faster. That is how I was able to speed along through Shogun.

message 21: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Yup, that's what I'm hoping! Definitely worth an Audible credit to buy a 43 hour book! With an imagined MZ reading to me........

message 22: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Slow coach, slow down! You need to be snail coach, so you can keep up w/your flowery booktwin!