Lain's Reviews > Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family

Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman

Jun 10, 2009

Catherine Newman is the kind of person you want living next door. Funny, irreverent, with a heart as big as the mattress on her family bed. She also is a great writer, with the ability to notice the little things and comment on them in a way that gives them the importance they deserve. Wry, witty, and self-deprecating, Newman tracks her journey to the birth of her second child in "Waiting for Birdy." Nothing -- from the tangerine-sized hemorrhoids to the "barfy flu" to her sometimes absentminded OB -- escapes her laser-like scrutiny.

If there is a drawback to this book, it's in Newman's recounting of every cute moment and utterance from her preschooler. Everyone thinks their child is the cutest, brightest, most witty -- and reading about her son's latest witticism grew a bit tiresome at times. But he does sound pretty darned cute.

All in all, though, Newman won me over, though I am five years removed from giving birth. It made me long for those delicious baby days, almost enough to give it another try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Birdy.