colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

1209800
Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, action-adventure
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

2 1/2

I'm not really sure what I think of the book.

I liked it from the outset - the description of all the trouble little Locke gave the poor Thiefmaker was fun. For a large part of the first half of the book, I actually enjoyed the "Interludes" more than I did the plot they were setting up. I felt too much time was spent with the Salvaras and setting all that up, and even though it became relevant, it still coulda been cut down, I think.

Also, the disjointed time-line in the beginning, that luckily went away, was irritating. I don't mean the flashbacks, which were clearly marked - I mean the times where you'd see an event and then you'd see the set-up for the event, and it took me a minute for my brain to put things in order. It was unnecessary and jarring, and I was so glad when he dropped that particular device.

The world building was also a bit overdone. This is an entirely personal taste thing, but I sort of start zoning out when authors go into paragraph after paragraph of telling you want the city looks like - especially when you sort of get the same details repeated when the settings actually become relevant.

That said, I liked the characters and truly enjoyed some of the plot. Once the Grey King and the Magi dude got involved, things were truly tense and suspensful there for awhile. Like many of these types of books/movies, you know that the protagonist is going to get out of his current predicament somehow - but it's the getting there that keeps you going.

But once things got tense, and once you started connecting with the characters, things would sort of slow down as we moved to a different perspective, and all of that built-up tension just deflated.

At one point I desperately wanted to return to the book, because I was so anxious to see what happens, and then it happens and we're sitting around getting nursed for awhile, and the tension just evaporates. On one hand I was glad for the realism - people actually having to heal from wounds! - but, on the other hand, it just killed the pacing.

But then it would pick back up, and I was invested once again. I thought the ending was good, though a little too nicely wrapped up. I quite liked the Spider, though, and the fact that she put all the pieces together. She was a good character, and I hope to see more of her in the future.

ETA: One thing that really annoyed me was that we're constantly told how clever Locke is, but, in my opinion, we don't often see it. Sure, he gets these schemes, and they're interesting enough and all, but when push comes to shove, he's pretty much just lucky more often than not. And (view spoiler)

I also have to admit that I think my pleasure in the book was deflated a little bit by reading the teaser pages for the next in the series. As I was reading them, I sat there thinking "is this the same Locke I just read about?" Of course, I now have to read the next in the series to find out what the hell's going on...

And I guess when it comes down to it, that's the hook that keeps us coming back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

07/23/2009 page 19
2.63% "Seems intriguing so far. Kind of reminds me of 'Night Angels', but with more humor."
07/24/2009 page 84
11.63% "*chuckles* Poor Bug."
07/26/2009 page 186
25.76% "Semi slow going. Not sure I like the non-linear thing so much."
07/28/2009 page 335
46.4% "Curious how it'll all turn out. Would like a bit more character development, tho. So far I like the Interludes better than the main story."
07/30/2009 page 503
69.67% "Well, damn..."
08/01/2009 page 641
88.78% ""Biggest gods-damned bird we ever saw.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby I just ordered this one from Barnes yesterday.
Everyone has pretty good things to say about it.

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± Cool. I hope you like it, or, failing that, can warn me away from it. :>

Mary This is pretty much how I felt about the book. Too much meandering off into world building plus big lags in the story. I did give it three stars though.

message 4: by Sirfatty (new)

Sirfatty Exactly. The interludes are the best part (currently reading the book), and since that is how the book starts out, I was really excited about it. Then it skips forward in time and drags to a near stop. Could have been a contender!

Kumar Ankur I completely agree with you, especially the thing you said about the "The world building". I am currently reading it and I find it very annoying.

message 6: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Very good point regarding Locke being 'clever'. He's certainly no Tyrion Lannister (pardon the GOT comparison, had to do it).