Adele's Reviews > Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Jun 17, 09

Read in June, 2009

I am usually adverse to verse but having read two amazing verse novels this week, I am about to pull an about face. Song of the Sparrow was an absolute joy to read - lyrical, poetic, inspiring and wrenching. Drawing upon the stories of Arthur, Lancelot and Merlin, Sandell has strongly integrated the inspiration for Tennyson's poem, the Lady of Shalott, into the mix. Elaine (the "Lady" in question) has been raised in the war camps of 5th century Britain, by her widowed father amongst battle weary men. She's loved and respected by these men whilst operating within the confines of what was expected of woman of the day - washing and mending.

It reads like an absolute dream. The phrasing is so fluid, so rhythmic, that it rolls off of the page and seeps into your consciousness. Elaine is a strong character, aware of her obligations, supremely concerned for the welfare of those that she loves and in possession of great courage. She's a character that is immediately relatable, likeable and enviable. I personally loved the depiction of Gwynivere as a shrew preying on the attentions of men. She's the one character of Arthur lore that I have always found tedious and while she's initially portrayed as a 5th century 'mean girl', there is also surprising depths to be found in her. This can be said of all the characters, both those that are familiar and new, they are constructed to be both complex and clear in motivation. It's the epitome of exact phrasing and plotting within a story while taking you on a winding story.

Despite the fantastic economy of words in this novel, the characterisation and plotting, this novel presents many themes and adventure for the readers to delve into. Sandell explores grief, family unity, gender roles, the nature of love, friendship, infatuation, duty, courage and sacrifice all while grounding Elaine's story with her obvious love of verse and legend.

Divine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Sparrow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela I completely agree 100% with everything you said! Especially the part about not liking verse and being afraid of this book. But I have not met a person who has read the book and not found it easy to read and absolutely loved the story! I think that is quite an accomplishment for this author!