Maudeen Wachsmith's Reviews > The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife

The Motion of the Ocean by Janna Cawrse Esarey

Jul 12, 09

Read in July, 2009

This book is more than just a memoir, more than a travelogue, it is a story of the beginning of a marriage and all that entails - but instead of beginning it in a home in an up and coming neighborhood as many newlyweds do, Janna and Graeme decide to take a two-year honeymoon from Seattle to the Galapagos and on through the South Pacific islands to Hong Kong. Their journey is threatened by everything from pirates to typhoons, but the real threat to their happiness lies in themselves.

I so enjoyed this story. It was one I truly didn't want to end. Janna tells this very personal story in a way many can relate to, whether their living on land, or following their sailing dreams. I enjoyed finding out how the sailing community works (cruisers often travel somewhat together, arriving at the same port and socializing). The crossing was a lonely one at times, and it was great to see Janna come into her own as a sailor.

I loved her writing and hope that since she and Graeme are living on land now, perhaps she can get that novel published. If this book is any indication of her talents, she has a great writing career ahead of her.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motion of the Ocean.