Tracy's Reviews > Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Jun 09, 09

Read in January, 2009

Read the whole series this spring. I needed something light-hearted and funny, and these books fit the bill. What I liked about them: they made me laugh. I could identify with some of the rationalizations the character makes when buying things she doesn't really need. I loved her friendship with Suze. Her parents are a hoot, and she has a good relationship with them.

Things I didn't like: her boyfriend/husband is loaded, so after the first couple of books, there really is no consequence of her spending all that money. She lies to people ALL the time. She obsesses over designers. In every book she has a relationship crisis with boyfriend/husband where she feels unwanted by him, or uncertain of his devotion. In every book he keeps information from her, or isn't forthright with her, or generally treats her like someone silly, only later to repent and tell her how much he respects/admires/loves her. How many times must they go through that cycle? And what, really, does he see in her?

I will admit I am curious to see a Denny & George scarf, though!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kana I totally agree with your dislikes. So far I've read the first two and what kept annoying me was how much she kept getting away with. I'm trying to look at it as light hearted and not take it seriously but it's still annoying.