Nicoal's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Dec 04, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction, 2009
Read in December, 2009

Keep in mind that this book's intended audience is teens and the characters are teens. The novel deals with the social issues of a younger high school student, and I think it accurately reflects the drama and inconsistencies of character that many girls face as they grow into themselves and learn more about the world.

Frankie is a lower classman at a boarding school. She manages to get in with the popular kids, but then she's torn between fitting in with the new crowd and proving that she's intelligent and capable of being something other than a harmless little girl. In the process of trying to prove herself to others, she ends up learning a few "coming of age" life lessons about herself and how people (high school students, in particular) work. I enjoyed the main character's exploration of societal norms and rules. I appreciated the author's themes of feminism, secret societies, and relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.