Keegan's Reviews > Larger-Than-Life Lara

Larger-Than-Life Lara by Dandi Daley Mackall

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: middle-grade
Read in June, 2009

This story is told in a unique way-- from the perspective of fourth grade Laney with a very, very self-conscious story-writing mindset. This gives it a very childlike voice which would probably annoy some people (and which my husband didn't like when I read part of it to him), but it worked okay for me. I love how the plot is fairly simple, but it's endowed with all the impact that it would actually have on these kids. The profound simplicity of the plot, combined with the characters that fit just exactly the kids you knew in elementary school (and the kids that will always be there) were my two favorite parts of this story. Also, I loved the interweaving of Laney's home life with her school life.

I checked out this book because I went to the BYU Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Conference and Dandi Mackall read bits of it during her breakout session. I got the impression that it may be one of her favorite books that she'd written. I don't read a lot of middle-grade fiction, but I really liked this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Larger-Than-Life Lara.