Karlo's Reviews > Tales of the Dying Earth

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance

Jun 17, 09

it was ok
Read in June, 2009

I'm not familiar with Vance or his writing beyond his semi-regular name dropping by recent writers of post-apocalyptic fiction. This is an omnibus of 4 of his novels written over 30+ years. The books are divided into short stories all taking place somewhere in the far future of earth; so far in the future that the sun is now weak, red, and may shortly go out. Magic and Science both coexist, and the weight of history is so heavy that any forest or valley may lead to fantastical discovery.

I found the tone of the stories somewhat naive (I don't mean this pejoratively), and the feeling of loss, age and of the world winding down to be palpable. The stories were interesting, however not sufficiently so to explore beyond halfway in the second book.

I understand why this writing may have influenced or laid the groundwork for others to follow, but I didn't find it compelling enough to walk the same path with the author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of the Dying Earth.

message 1: by Charlene (new) - added it