Stephanie Loy Son's Reviews > Seventeenth Summer

Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly

Jul 11, 09

bookshelves: summer-2009, young-adult

What I love about this novel is not only the plot but the writing. The poetic descriptions of even the most mundane things are described beautifully and make me feel the essence of summer. Daly's writing allows you to feel the beauty and setting of first love.

"Seventeenth Summer" by Maureen Daly is about a girl named Angie who falls for the popular boy Jack. What makes this book stand out from the thousands of others is the time period. The novel was written in 1942, so you really get the feel of how relationships progressed back in the day. What makes their relationship so special (to me) is how natural and delicate it is. Daly really makes you appreciate the innocence of young love.

The one thing I didn't like about this novel is how incomplete it felt. Things could have been explained better instead of being left in the dark (e.g., how Lorraine's life is never the same after the summer) and empty.

Overall, this is a great time period novel about first love. I recommend it to anyone looking for the innocence and peacefulness of first love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seventeenth Summer.