Tatiana's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jun 09, 2009

bookshelves: 1001, classics, 2010, favorites, mysteries-thrillers-horror
Recommended to Tatiana by: Hannahr, Ryan
Recommended for: lovers of classics
Read from May 05 to 07, 2010

Books like Rebecca remind me from time to time what quality literature really is. Sometimes I forget, buried under stacks of entertaining but often poorly written popular fiction.

At first, Rebecca is very reminiscent of another favorite book of mine - Jane Eyre. The main character is a young, innocent, poor girl who falls in love with a rich older man. The happiness is so near, but the shadow of the man's first wife stands in the way of it. A family secret, a haunted mansion, a deranged servant, and a fire are also major players in the story.

I've said it before, I personally don't mind borrowed themes, but only if done right. A talented writer can reinterpret and reinvent an old story, add new layers to it, and Daphne du Maurier does just that. The book is beautifully written, it is haunting, it is suspenseful.

I also think it takes a gifted writer to make readers get attached to a character as insecure, jealous, and timid as the second Mrs. de Winter. Daphne du Maurier succeeds once more. The main character is very compelling and her fears are palpable. I found myself sharing the heroines insecurities (after all, why shouldn't she question her husband's feelings toward her if he treats her like a child, a pet and doesn't make an effort to let her know where he stands in regard to his first wife?), being scared of and intimidated by Mrs. Danvers, and taunted by the memories of the first (possibly superior) wife.

Rebecca is simply a great book all around, deservedly a masterpiece of English literature and from now on - a new favorite love story of mine, to be treasured and kept near Gone With the Wind, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, and The Thorn Birds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

05/05/2010 page 40
05/07/2010 page 250
56.05% "Mrs. Danvers is uber-creepy" 4 comments
03/06/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-25)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Heather I didn't like the heroine in this one...so I'm guessing you will,lol.

message 24: by Tatiana (last edited May 05, 2010 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana So far this book reminds me of Jane Eyre, so I am guessing I'll like it.

Hannah This is an awesomely awesome book topped with awesome sauce....but then I like duMaurier!

Heather It's been years since I read this, God that makes me feel old. I'm sketchy on the details, I just remember thinking she lacked back bone, but if I recall correctly, I came to sort of like her near the end.

Tatiana Hannahr wrote: "This is an awesomely awesome book topped with awesome sauce....but then I like duMaurier!"

That's the main reason I am reading it, Hannah, I know how much you like it:)

Hannah Heather wrote: "I'm sketchy on the details, I just remember thinking she lacked back bone, but if I recall correctly, I came to sort of like her near ..."

But that's the point of the no-name Mrs. deWinter #2. She's such a non-entity, but comes into her own (albeit in a timid way) at the end.

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "Hannahr wrote: "This is an awesomely awesome book topped with awesome sauce....but then I like duMaurier!"

That's the main reason I am reading it, Hannah, I know how much you like it:)"

Yea! Consider it my Blue Sword!

Tatiana She is practically a girl in the beginning...

Tatiana And Hannah, Max appears to be a brooding type, I like it:)

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "She is practically a girl in the beginning..."

Yep, and Maxim is much older and a touch overbearing.

message 15: by Hannah (last edited May 05, 2010 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "And Hannah, Max appears to be a brooding type, I like it:)"

I think Laurence Olivier was perfect for the film role! Maxim will never be anyone else in my mind but him :)

Tatiana I will try to get a movie version of the book then once I am done reading it.

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "I will try to get a movie version of the book then once I am done reading it."

You've never seen the black and white version? I forget that not everyone is a geek like me - lol!
I think you'll like it, although they changed up the ending of the movie from the book due to the movie censors of the time.

Tatiana No, I've never watched the movie and never read the book:(

Tatiana I was a little alarmed by the very descriptive beginning, but from the moment she met Maxim I simply couldn't put it down. Hope to finish it tonight.

Tatiana Thank you Jillian:) Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Hannah I saw you added some of duMaurier's other books on your list....wait until you meet Rachel of My Cousin Rachel! She's a tough one to figure out!

Tatiana I saw that you only gave it 3 stars, but I still hope I will be able to enjoy it.

Hannah Tatiana wrote: "I saw that you only gave it 3 stars, but I still hope I will be able to enjoy it."

I think after Rebecca, it's hard to find a better duMaurier. I liked MCR, but didn't adore it like I do Rebecca, Jamaica Inn or even Frenchman's Creek. But it's still good.

Hannah For a creepy little short story, try duMaurier's Don't Look Now:
Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier

Very creepy -- and you know how I like creepy...

Tatiana Thanks, I will check it out.

message 4: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I love D du M. Do check out some of her other books - you never get the same old same old formula.

Ally The Bright Young Things are reading Rebecca in November - why don't you follow this link and join our debate... https://www.goodreads.com/group/invit...

message 2: by Nooreen (new) - added it

Nooreen currently reading it now- almost done. it is very much like Jane Eyre!

r3ad3rsan0nym0us Is the mansion really haunted?