Young Lightning in Dark Sky's Reviews > Waiting for Normal

Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor

I recieved this book as a gift from my mom, and it seems a lot like books like "Ida B.", "Becoming Naomi Leon", "Esperanza Rising", etc., just books about children or young adults facing tough choices and lives and disastrous tragedies.
There was no tragedy in this book that I can remember, but Addie does have to deal with a lot of her mom's crap.
Her mom sits in front of the computer or tv, ignores Addie, criticizes her or blames her for something when she does speak to her.
You can tell Addie was forced to become intelligent, mature, and self-reliant at a young age because of how her family life functions. Her parents are divorced and, less typically, the father is the one who really knows how to care for Addie's needs, reasonable wants, and how to cultivate her talents and intellect.
As a bonus to Addie's mother's unfit-to-be-a-mother personality, she does somewhat force Addie to pretend she is older than she really is (which is twelve I believe), stating at one point in the book something along the lines of "they won't give you Halloween candy, you have boobs", and forcing Addie to wear a grown-up dress to a flute concert.
I would recommend this book to anyone facing difficulties with their family and realizing that not all parents should be parents and know what's best for the children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Normal.