Tina (Fantastic Book Review)'s Reviews > Mirrorscape

Mirrorscape by Mike Wilks

Oct 23, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, magic
Read in October, 2009

First off, the premise of Mirrorscape is quite fascinating when you think about being able to travel to a new world through paintings. It's original concept is what grabbed my attention to read this book. The book introduces readers to Mel, a talented painter who lives in a small town where color is only available through the purchase of Pleasures (sight, taste, smell, touch and sound) which cost a hefty penny. Mel soon finds himself with a chance to fulfill his dreams of being an apprentice for the Master painter but he’s quickly tossed into danger between his apprenticeship and the corrupt Fifth Mystery who control the Pleasures. With the help of his new friends Ludo and Wren, they step into a magical world of paintings to uncover the mysteries behind these paintings.

This book quickly drew me in and I wanted to uncover the mysteries surrounding the paintings just as much as the characters. Wilks created a great cast of characters. Mel was constantly stumbling into situations. It seems there was something new and exciting to uncover at every turn. The secondary characters were entertaining especially the corrupt members of the Mystery which only added more excitement and danger to the story.

Wilks has crafted an enchanting world where anything is possible in the eye of the beholder. The imagery is Mirrorcsape is beautifully crafted and brought the book to life even more for me. Wilks did a fantastic job with the world that he’s created and I can’t wait to see what he has in store next for Mel and crew. Mirroscape is a great start to a series that will have you glued to the story down to the very last page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirrorscape.