thefourthvine's Reviews > The Green Glass Sea

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

Jun 09, 09

bookshelves: childrens-teen
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I have a great weakness for books about the Los Alamos Project - not the bomb itself so much as the community. I read Inside Box 1663 an estimated 14 million times when I was a kid, and I read just about anything else I could get my hands on, too. So this book was a natural for me.

And I did enjoy it a lot. Dewey is a great character, and I love how Klages got the girls *right* - she did a great job of depicting smart girls of that age.

That said: every other day or so, the fan fiction world has a warnings debate, and inevitably someone says, "You wouldn't get warnings in a published novel!" To which my response is always: "Yes. And that's one of the reasons I love fan fiction so much." This novel contains major character death, and for person reasons, I'm trying to avoid stories like that right now. The death had a disproportionate impact on me and really colored my view of the rest of the book. I managed to like it anyway. But if I had been warned ahead of time, I would have been prepared, and I would have liked this book maybe 50% more.

(And if anyone reading this wants to know who dies, let me know.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Green Glass Sea.