Sara's Reviews > What Would Emma Do?

What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook

Jul 01, 09

bookshelves: 2009, young-adult
Read in June, 2009

Cute story about a girl in a small, religious town who's dealing with changing friends, trying to win a track scholarship so she can leave after graduation, and fighting a smattering of popular girls at her school who are mysteriously falling ill and blaming unpopular kids and the devil for their afflictions. It reminded me a lot of the Salem witch trials, and The Crucible in particular.

Emma is a great main character; she's funny, she's questioning of life as a whole, and she's determined to figure things out and get out of her small town. I liked how things didn't always go perfectly her way, even though it was incredibly maddening to read about how frustrating other people were acting and how poorly they treated her (and others). It's always great when an author can draw a whole range of emotions out of the reader.

I thought the author's portrayal of a small religious town was pretty authentic, although I have a feeling that if you live in a town like this, you might be a bit offended because the portrayal, while feeling real, wasn't completely flattering because it depicted both those who love that sort of town and those who hate it. Also, some of the characters are portrayed as such hypocrites, which is how some people always are, no matter your location.

My only complaint is that the book ended on an ambiguous note. The main issue was resolved, but then it just sort of ends, and there is so much more that I wanted to know. So, that was disappointing. But I liked the rest of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Would Emma Do?.

06/30/2009 page 135