Sara's Reviews > Twenty Boy Summer

bookshelves: 2009, loved, young-adult
Recommended to Sara by: Firstreads
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in August, 2009

What an amazing book! I finished it in a day (granted, it's fairly short, but still - I kept turning pages, even when I was tired) and felt completely sucked in by the writing and the plot. Anna and Frankie spend a summer in California, and Frankie is set on finding Anna a number of boys as possibilities for summer romances; meanwhile, Anna is still hung up on Frankie's brother, who died a year ago, before either could tell Frankie about their relationship, so she's still in the dark.

I loved the prose in here. I could feel and smell the saltwater, thanks to the author's writing, and I felt emotions along with Anna. There are so many layers to the book, and the way the plot is presented is so well-paced. The brother's ghost hangs over every scene, whether specified or not, and it made for a deep, emotional story. Everyone's behavior covers up other emotions, and it all just feels so real. I wanted to be at the beach with them! The arguments and fights between characters felt real and not forced (unlike other books I've read where it seems fights or misunderstandings are thrown in simply for the sake of drama), and they actually fight over real, legitimate stuff - uncomfortable but necessary. Also, all the characters were believable and three-dimensional.

This is the author's first book, and I am now really looking forward to reading whatever book she comes out with next. Her writing is beautiful, and she has a gift for putting real emotions on the page. I was completely satisfied with this, and I don't think there's a thing I would have changed, which is really rare for me to say about something I've read. It was just perfect. Though I checked this out of the library, I may go buy a copy because it's one I'd like to reread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Boy Summer.

08/18/2009 page 55

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Cox I am sold! This might be my next book. How are you doing? We are doing well. Ella's about to be 3 and I am still working part time. Are you still in CA? I think of you often and send good karma your way :)