Tammy Mabra's Reviews > The Yoga of Jesus: Understanding the Hidden Teachings of the Gospels

The Yoga of Jesus by Paramahansa Yogananda

Mar 20, 10

Read in December, 2009

I love Yogananda and found some of the insights in this book eye-opening, but I didn't resonate with all of them. His referral to God as masculine rather than gender neutral and tends to trip me up in the reading process, although I know it's just semantics.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yoga of Jesus.

Richard Holmes Hi Tammy, if you read the glossary, at the foot of page 134 continuing onto page 135, Yogananda gives clarification of this. I will let you read it yourself but I think it will explain this to you clearly and maybe change your opinion. Regards, Richard

Tammy Mabra Thanks Richard, just checked it out and I see at the foot of page 134/35 a description of "man" meaning humankind, I get that, thanks.

Instead, I am referring to Yogananda's reference to God as "Him." As in, "Those who really mourn for God, who wail incessantly for Him with ever-increasing zeal in meditation..."

My early religious experience was in a very patriarchal (and personally damaging) tradition, which demonized the feminine and insisted God is a Him. Again, this trips me up a bit in my reading as my mind automatically links it to a less evolved understanding of *God*. However, I feel that this doesn't necessarily reflect on Yogananda's understanding but instead is simply the case that he was using the vernacular of his audience at the time. I thought those with similar negative religious experience might find knowing this helpful.

Richard Holmes Yes Tammy, and that is a very good and valid point.