Zooworld's Reviews > The Jungle Book

Jun 13, 09

bookshelves: english-classics
Recommended for: Anyone above the age of 13
Read in June, 2009, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** The Jungle Book consists of 7 short stories about animals, 3 of which make up the plot of the Disney film.

The Jungle Book's 3 stories are very different from the Disney movie, and in my view a much better read. Mowgli is taken in by a family of wolves, and accepted into the clan. Baloo then teaches him the Law of the Jungle, with Mowgli getting kidnapped by the apes, in the process. Bagheera and Baloo enlist the help of Kaa, who saves them from the apes and rescues Mowgli, a very different Kaa from the bad guy of the film.

Akela is then deposed from leadership of the wolves, and Mowgli is outcast to the human village, where he learns the ways of Man. As he herds buffalo for the village, he learns that Sher Khan has returned to hunt him, whereby he causes his buffalo to stampede, and killing Sher Khan. Kipling's nudge to the colonial and class-based views of the time is entertaining, although younger readers may miss it.

The fourth of the stories, "The White Seal", is a great story about a seal with a unique white coat, that wants to find new beaches for the seals to live on. This story has some parallels with the Jungle Book story, for example the Law of the Jungle becomes the Law of the Beach.

The fifth story, "Rikki Tikki Tavi", is about a mongoose who catches snakes. The story charts his adventures as he kills two Cobras and saves a human family in the process.

The penultimate story, "Toomai of the Elephants", is a gripping read about an boy and an elephant who see an elephant dance. A great half-hour read for a rainy afternoon!

The final story is "Her Majesty's Servants", and consists of a conversation between talking animals in the service of the Indian Army. This is the least known story, and also the only one seen from a first-person point of view.

This classic collection of stories, all about animals, is certainly a must-read. Readers of 12 and over should appreciate this staple of childrens classic literature.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jungle Book.

06/10/2009 page 5
1.81% "I read this before a few years ago, but I thought I'd re-read it to refresh my memory and write a review!"
06/10/2009 page 5
1.81% "I read this a few years ago, but I thought I'd re-read it to refresh my memory!"
show 3 hidden updates…