Tiffany's Reviews > The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick And What We Can Do About It

The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O'Brien

Jun 28, 09

Read in June, 2009

This book was boring at times, and if I had a dime for every time the author talked about her "Mama Guilt"...

I did learn why there has been such an increase in the number of kids/people affected by peanut, dairy, and other allergies. SPOILER: Over the past 10 years there has been a rise in the amount of genetically modified ingredients/organisms (GMOs) found in our food. 80% of the corn we ingest is GMO corn -- and we know that corn is in EVERYTHING processed these days (p.s. did you know that the wax on your cucumber comes from corn, too! ugh). Anyway when they genetically modify peanuts, for example, they do so by splicing manmade and foreign proteins into the DNA of non-GMO peanuts. Allergies are merely a reaction to foreign protein, add to that a foreign protein that people are never generally exposed to in nature and voila! You get major allergic reactions because it's exposure to entirely new junk. Hmmm....haven't we also seen a large increase in the number of diagnosed cases of autism over the past 10 years?

The book also goes on to talk about how rBGH (growth hormones) are given to cows to help them to produce more milk; causing mastitis quite frequently in industrial dairy cows. The industrial farmers continue to hook the cows up to the machines for milking despite these infections, so what you get is infection and pus in the milk that we are drinking. AND then there's the cancer issue. There's little research showing proof that rBGH causes breast cancer -- though we're pretty sure it does -- because the company that manufactures these hormones and GMOs is worth $72 billion. Monsanto basically thwarts any and all efforts to research and find any harmful effects of their products. Buy organic rBGH-free milk and you don't have to worry about the pus and hormones.

Much of what I read in this book was not new news to m, it disgusted me all the same. We are forced to ingest these chemicals because the FDA is making sure not to piss of these large corporations that make large political contributions and have lobbying teams.

Read this book if you want to learn how to avoid eating lots of the garbage out there.

P.S. Stay away from soy, too. The plant estrogen is bad news.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unhealthy Truth.