Lorihudeck's Reviews > Born in Fire

Born in Fire by Nora Roberts

U_50x66
Jun 08, 09

I like this triology by Nora Roberts for exactly what it is: a great summer read. I have to admit a fondness for anything set in Ireland and this triology takes place in a small town in western Ireland. The protagonists of all three books in this series are sisters. Yes, they are romance stories, so of course, there is love that is troubled but those troubles will be overcome. What I like about this trilogy though is that the love story takes a back seat to the relationship between the sisters and their mother and their deceased father. In the first, Maggie and her mother do not see eye to eye and never have. I find it particulary satisfying that Roberts never has them make up and become best friends. She allows the characters to be prickly and bitchy and mean spirited, and yet for the most part, you like Maggie and Bre anyway. Born in Ice and Born in Shame round out the series. While all three are good, I think I like the first one the best because Maggie was just so flat out mean spirited, just as apt to punch the world in the face as she is to do anything else, and yet she loves her sister madly. Her anger with her mother covers her deep hurt and disappointment that her mother never loved her. And she makes incredible blown glass. How can you not love her?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born in Fire.